Most of us have heard about the recent polls suggesting more Americans, and particularly those under 30, are softening to socialism. We hear the principles of socialism and so-called ‘income inequality’ being proclaimed by major Democrat presidential candidates. But where do Americans stand on this important topic and do people really know the true history about socialism?
Is the nation really shifting? Is there anything Christian about socialism? We discuss this today.
The idea of socialism and its movements go back to ancient times to Europe in the nineteenth century, and by the twentieth century, socialism emerged as a dominant political ideology in many places around the world. Americans have historically favored capitalism and the freedom it provides. Surprisingly, however, a shift appears to be occurring in public opinion.
In its fourth annual report on attitudes toward socialism, the Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation reveal some alarming trends among under-educated young people in the United States of Entertainment.
Marion Smith, executive director of Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation states:
“When we don’t educate our youngest generations about the historical truth of 100 million victims murdered at the hands of communist regimes over the past century, we shouldn’t be surprised at their willingness to embrace Marxist ideas; We need to redouble our efforts to educate America’s youth about …the dangers of socialism today.”
This growing love affair with socialism coincides with a foggy understanding of economic philosophies and is a result of biased, ideologically-driven public school curriculum.
Dr. James Dobson warns that socialism is not remotely Christian; it’s a political and economic system in which there is government ownership of the means of production and the primary focus of providing equality. Socialism favors large government and governmental control of social services and much more. In socialism, the government is all important and is involved in every aspect of the lives of those whom it rules.
Contrast this with capitalism. Ours is an economic system in which there is private ownership, private property, and private possession of goods. In capitalism, there is a limited role for the presence and force of government in individual lives. Economically and philosophically, capitalism and socialism are two forms of government between which we need to differentiate.
What does the Bible say? Read more from Jack Graham:
Socialism is a natural and necessary step in order to achieve Communism. Did you also know:
- Strong, biblical churches and informed, active citizens are key obstacles to resisting socialism in America?
- America nearly had a Communist Vice President in 1944?
- The environmental movement began and environmental extremism emerged because world Communism failed?
- The agenda enacted by communists and Marxists in America over the last 75 years was largely financed by the Soviet Union?
- The American Left and our own government today has continued to carry out those original Communist Goals?
A plot to take down the United States? No way. ‘It could never happen in America’ – right?
Grandfather of former Time and Newsweek editor, Evan Thomas, six-time candidate for the Socialist Party of America, Norman Thomas, stated:
“The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism, but under the name of liberalism they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program until one day America will be a socialist nation without ever knowing how it happened.”
It is important to recognize the 1958 Communist Goals we discussed today were not accomplished by Communists, but by liberal Democrats, progressives, and socialists in America. Some of the goals are still being carried out…
- Get control of the schools. Use them as transmission belts for socialism and current Communist propaganda. Soften the curriculum. Get control of teachers’ associations. Put the party line in textbooks.
- Infiltrate the press. Get control of book-review assignments, editorial writing, policymaking positions.
- Gain control of key positions in radio, TV, and motion pictures.
- Eliminate all laws governing obscenity by calling them “censorship” and a violation of free speech.
- Break down cultural standards of morality by promoting pornography and obscenity in books, magazines, motion pictures, radio, and TV.
- Present homosexuality, degeneracy and promiscuity as “normal, natural, healthy.”
- Infiltrate the churches and replace revealed religion with “social” religion. Discredit the Bible and emphasize the need for intellectual maturity which does not need a “religious crutch.”
- Eliminate prayer or any phase of religious expression in the schools on the ground that it violates the principle of “separation of church and state.”
- Discredit the American Constitution by calling it inadequate, old-fashioned, out of step with modern needs, a hindrance to cooperation between nations on a worldwide basis…